Mr    Fred    Cohen,    a    young    businessman    put    a    tearoom,    dancehall,    plastic    theatre,    swimming    pool, bushmans   cave   and   roadhouse   at   the   top   of   the   plateau   which   would   be   the   weekend   mecca   for Johannesburg   residents.   Years   later   it   would   also   be   the   scene   of   the   tragic   burning   of   the   two Torahs   on   Rosh   Hashanah,   when   the   Northcliff   and   District   Hebrew   Congregation   were   using   the premises   for   the   High   Festival   Services.   Fred   Cohen   built   roads,   reticulated   water,   started   his   own bus   service,   built   his   own   nursery   school   and   even   founded   his   own   Building   Society   for   facilitating building   in   the   area.   The   hall   of   Mr   Cohen’s   sumptuous   residence   was   often   used   by   the   congregation for   services.   Whilst   Fred   Cohen   was   never   an   active   member   of   the   congregation,   he   never   the   less encouraged   the   formation   of   the   congregation   and   in   1952   was   asked   to   become   the   first   President of   the   Northcliff   and   District   Hebrew   Congregation   in   honour   of   being   the   “father   of   the   township”. During   the   year   of   1950   the   idea   of   a   Northcliff   Congregation   and   Shul   came   to   being.   On   the   21 January   1951   the   first   meeting   was   held   with   the   object   of   establishing   a   Hebrew   Congregation   for Northcliff   and   the   surrounding   areas.   It   was   an   enthusiastic   meeting   and   it   was   decided   that   a circular   letter   would   be   sent   to   the   residents   of   Northcliff,   Linden,   Blackheath,   Roosevelt   Park, Honeydew   and   surrounding   areas   calling   for   a   second   meeting.   There   is   little   detail   of   this   meeting, but    at    a    third    meeting    on    27    February    1951    a    committee    was    elected    and    a    motion    carried unanimously   that   the   Northcliff   and   District   Hebrew   Congregation   be   formed.   The   United   Hebrew Congregation   and   Chief   Rabbi   Rabinowitz   was   advised   of   this   decision   and   the   formation   of   the committee.   Regular   Friday   evening   services   commenced   at   the   home   of   Mr   &   Mrs   L   Reichenberg.   Men offered   their   services   as   “Chazanim”   and   a   warm   and   happy   atmosphere   prevailed   amongst   the congregation.   There   was   a   lack   of   formality   but   everyone   seemed   to   get   pleasure   in   the   contact   and socializing   with   his   fellow   Jew   in   this   little   populated   are   of   Johannesburg.   The   Gabbah   –   Mr Reichenberg   even   transliterated   the   “Yigdal”   so   everyone   could   join   in   the   lusty   singing   of   the   finale to   the   services.   Slowly   the   congregations   began   to   take   shape.   At   a   meeting   on   1   April   1951   a   ladies guild   was   elected   and   a   decision   was   taken   for   the   first   time   that   High   Festival   services   would   be held.   A   membership   fee   of   £6.60   per   annum   was   introduced,   and   a   bank   account   was   opened.Rabbi Rabinowitz   suggested   that   a   young   South   African   who   had   qualified   as   a   Reverent   be   invited   to conduct    the    Friday    evening    service,    namely    Reverent    Sydney    Katz.    There    was    considerable excitement   and   arrangements   were   made   to   hold   a   special   children’s   service   on   the   Saturday   morning and    an    Oneg    Shabbat    at    the    house    of    Mr    &    Mrs    S    Rubin,    where    the    Reverent    was    to    be accommodated.   Arrangements   were   made   for   the   congregation   to   obtain   a   loan   of   a   Torah   and   prayer books.   The   Reverent   was   met   with   an   enthusiastic   full   house   at   Mr   &   Mrs   Reichenbergs   residence. Reverent   Katz   was   also   engaged   to   conduct   the   High   Festivals.   Chief   Rabbi   Rabinowitz   called   a meeting   in   October   1951   and   commended   Northcliff   for   making   the   most   remarkable   and   gratifying progress.   He   suggested   appointing   a   full   time   spiritual   leader   and   Hebrew   teacher   and   recommended Reverent   Katz.   Subscriptions   were   raised   to   £1.10   per   family   per   month   and   Rev.   Katz   was   appointed. During   1952   Friday   evening   services   continued   to   be   held   at   the   Reichenbergs   residence   whilst Saturday morning services were held at the Maisels home.